Monday 30 April 2012

Small Town Fun

I just returned from a week in Port aux Basque, Newfoundland. I had to travel there for a five day Marine Advance First Aid course for work. I know a few people through work and a friend from back home lives there, so I figured I'd get to do some catching up. I was due to travel back across the gulf for home on Friday but due to high winds I got an extra day.
I was also waiting all week to hear if I passed my exam for my Journeyman Red Seal Cook papers. After totally annoying my boyfriend to check the mail every day, Friday the letter arrived. I can not tell you the mix of emotions that ran through my body! I passed with flying colours! I laughed, cried and couldn't stop smiling! Finally, the one thing I have worked so hard for was complete! Time to celebrate!
Friday I had planned to cook a meal for my friend Collette and my new friend, Joanne. My first meal with my Red Seal!
Something simple, but something yummy! Greek Salad, my version of Chicken Soulvaki and Oven Roasted Potatoes!
Top it off with a great glass of white wine, and we were all set. Thank you Joanne for welcoming me into your home!

Mmmm!

Greek Salad

1 head - Romaine Lettuce, Cleaned and Chopped
1/4 Red Onion, Thinly Sliced
10 Cherry Tomatoes
1/2 Red Pepper, Cut into Chunks
1/2 Orange Pepper, Cut into Chunks
1/2 English Cucumber, Sliced
Feta Cheese
Kalamata Olives


Vinegarette

1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
Pepper

Put all ingredients into a mason jar and shake shake shake! :)


Chicken Soulvaki

6-8 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs (or breast)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 tsp fresh black pepper
1/4 cup Lemon juice
1/2 cup Oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard

Mix all together in a zip-lock bag and refrigerate over night.
Remove from bag and season with salt.
Pan fry or BBQ

Oven Roasted Potatoes

3 - 4 Potatoes, I like Red Skinned or Baby Potatoes
Scrub and Cut into uniform pieces
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil
Butter

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Toss potatoes in seasonings and enough oil to make the seasonings stick. Pour into baking dish and top with a few dabs of butter. Bake for 20 - 40 minutes tossing every 10 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.




:) Good times with Good ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment